Whenever you prepare for an outdoor adventure with your dog, you’ll usually bring along your leash and maybe a hand-held dog carrier. There are other ways to get around with your pup. Let’s talk about dog carrier purses and dog carrier backpacks today!
Dog Carrier Backpacks
The dog carrier backpack, like the name suggest, is a backpack that allows you to carry your dog in it. This means that your small (and sometimes big) dog gets to go on adventures with you, no matter what lays ahead of you both! Some older dogs can’t handle long walks so dog carrier backpacks are great to enjoy the wonders of nature together without having doggy mobility be an issue.
To choose a good dog carrier backpack, you will first need to consider the following factors:
- Purpose: Are you planning to use this dog carrier backpack around town? Is it to bring your older dog with you on trips? Do you have a small dog that you want on your back instead of in a purse? Do you want to go with your pet on long hikes? All of these questions are important to help you figure out what type of dog carrier backpack you should go for.
- Dimensions: Please, for the love of all that is holy, take 5 minutes to measure your dog. The backpack should fit the size of your dog. It doesn’t work the other way around.
- Weight limit: Some backpacks do have their individual weight limits so make sure your pooch isn’t too chunky or heavy for your equipment.
- Additional compartments: This should be a necessity if you are looking to bring your dog on hiking trips. You will need a place to carry their stuff too so extra pockets and compartments are a must in your dog carrier backpack.
- Material: This is an important one if you are looking for comfort and durability as two main elements when picking your next dog backpack. If your dog is a chewer, than you might need to look for one that is chew proof.
- Aesthetics: I hate ugly bags. I hate ugly bags that look like uncomfortable dog prisons. So if you are like me, you’ll want to go for a bag that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye and functional.
One of our top choices is the Texsens Innovative Traveler Bubble Backpack Pet Carrier. This cute little backpack is durable, and it has a sphere window to allow your pet to peer through and view the surroundings. There are plenty of ventilation holes, so you wouldn’t have to worry about your dog suffocating. There are some compartments to store your dog’s items too. They are rather popular among cat owners in Montreal. I have seen a few in the metro in town.
Dog Carrier Purses
This is an alternative to the dog carrier backpack. There are many variations of the dog in purse concept. There are some that resemble a handbag while others look like a portable high security prison. Realistically speaking, while it’s possible to fit a large sized dog in a backpack like the photo we have in the previous section…there is no way this can be done with a dog carrier purse. Seriously, take it from me, this type of dog carrier is suited for smaller dogs exclusively. In fact, most dog carrier purses come with a maximum weight limit of 10 pounds.
Cheap Dog Purse on AliExpress
What’s Next for Dog Carrier Fashion?
Can we please run out of innovative ways to carry our dogs around? I like the little bubble backpacks. They are a bit creepy but remind me of the Jetsons.
It’s like a 1960s retro futurist turn when it comes to pet carriers. Let’s not go overboard with dog carriers and start adding sensors and cameras and what nots. I’d like to have a dog carrier that’s not connected to the internet just yet.