This dog won’t wake up in the middle of the night because it thinks it saw a butterfly or maybe a squirrel. Want to know more? Read on!
What are the Most Popular Dog Breeds?
Here are things to consider when researching dog breeds:
- Grooming: poodles are high maintenance compared to short haired terriers.
- How much space do you have? If you live in an apartment there is little point in getting a large dog that takes up a lot of room and may also need a lot of exercising.
- The cost of keeping a dog needs to be considered. Very large dogs may eat significant amounts of food and the costs can add up. Take into consideration food and regular visits to the vet for inoculation, worming etc.
- If you have children, you may want to consider what dog breed would suit them. Children can be quite heavy handed with pets sometimes. The age and number of children you have should definitely be considered as this will affect what type of dog would best suit your circumstances.
- Another major point to consider is how much exercise you can offer your dog. If you have a reasonable sized yard, fencing it off will provide a good space for your dog to exercise itself. If you live in an apartment, consider getting a dog that requires very little exercise.
Labrador: a Very Popular BreedLabradors are very outgoing dogs that have yellow, black or brown coats. Labs make great guide dogs and family dogs. Careful, they are often chronic chewers.
German Shepherds: Great Guard DogsGermans shepherds were originally herding dogs helping farmers with their cattle or their flocks of sheep. These dogs are incredibly intelligent and very trainable. They are often working dogs in the military, police or security fields. German shepherds are large and strong dogs with varied fur colors. The most common coat colors for German shepherds are: cream, tank, white or black.
BoxerBoxers are playful and energetic breed. They are perfect as a family pet. Boxers have an extended puppy hood and get along famously with kids. They stay puppies until about the age of 3 which leaves you a long time to train them.
Rotweillers: Beloved Roman DogsThis breed is an ancient one, often associated with the Roman Empire. These dogs are strong and intelligent. You can notice their foreheads getting a little wrinkly when they are alert. It’s adorable. Rotties are very active and playful dogs.
Poodles: my Childhood Dogs :)Poodles are very loyal to their owners. I grew up with poodles in the house and I am incredibly fond of this breed. They can have black, grey, white, blue, apricot or brown coats. Poodles are hypoallergenic and come in a variety of sizes. That’s what made them popular family dogs in France.
Dachshunds: Lovely Little ClownsDachshunds are also referred to as sausage dogs because of their elongated built. They are hilarious dogs. We currently have one and she is a delight. Chasing and hunting are their favorite past times. They are playful and loyal to their masters but tend to be anxious dogs. Careful: they are known to be enthusiastic barkers.
BeagleBeagles have a strong sense of smell. You won’t be able to hide any food from these hounds. They are hunting dogs with big ears and a gentle look. They are very sweet dogs but are strong willed. Training them takes patience.
Our latest articles
Dog hair can cause a real mess. Here are some breeds that shed less. Careful though, less shedding doesn’t mean less grooming!
There is no such thing as a dog that doesn’t shed. All dogs shed and replace some fur, just like humans do. Check out breeds that shed less than average.
Here are some tips and products to help you keep your pup looking great. Get that glow and lustrous coat. Also, proper dog grooming is
Poodles are awesome dog but don’t get enough love in my opinion. These dogs are super smart. Come see what lurks behind the fluff.
The dachshund is a breed that many humans see as adorable. We answer the most common questions about doxies.